Chief Information Officer (CIO) provides consulting services regarding government technology processes and implementation. The CIO manages the annual technology budget on software products including all IT licenses, infrastructure, and security. The CIO also manages the IT security provider as well as leads initiatives to purchase software, ensures products are up to date, secures infrastructure and coordinates user support via the Help Desktop. Additionally, incumbent will enable a diverse group of end users, from child welfare caseworkers to homeless shelter staff to the County Manager, to meet their goals more effectively. The CIO is an integral part of the DHS leadership team with great freedom to innovate to achieve our mission. The Chief Information Officer has supervision by the Deputy Director, Office of Administration, and is indirectly supervised (employment practices) by a Great Lakes Behavioral Research Institute liaison.
The CIO will be assisted by consultant staff who manage IT projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates a multi-disciplinary team of DHS staff to troubleshoot basic end user issues on various software applications, hardware, network and telecommunication systems. Responsible for all the computer and phone devices at DHS. Staff will also coordinate user setup and assist in onboarding and offboarding employees.
- Responsible for the implementation and ongoing maintenance of software and hardware elements that DHS employees and providers use.
- Ensures that DHS technology products and systems are running efficiently and meeting the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Recommends technology and system architecture that meets best-in-class standards to provide enhanced outcomes across Allegheny County systems.
- Develops appropriate IT security to ensure data and client information is safe and secure, including computer systems and networks.
- Establishes an IT governance process for decision making on IT priority recommendations.
- Fosters a department culture in which staff are empowered, motivated, and engaged, that provides excellent service and reliable, high-quality solutions and that works transparently and collaboratively, taking accountability for individual and team actions and continuously striving to improve.
- Develops and leads feedback processes to gather input from end users on technology products and implementation.
- Develops product creation strategy that considers feasibility, readiness, flexibility, and impact.
- Maintains pulse on industry trends to maintain DHS’ place at the forefront of technology, while also closing any existing gaps, specifically in terms of how other organizations employ cutting-edge technologies to improve client/provider experience, including reporting and visualization tools.
- Provides technical expertise for cross system operational initiatives across DHS and related partners.
- Manages external consultants to ensure IT projects are completed in a timely fashion and potential risks are identified and mitigated.
- Provides oversight on technology procurement and contracts.
This position will have direct supervisory responsibilities over contracted staff in Technology Services, including Operational/Desktop Support Services, Core Technology Services, Application Configuration, and IT Risk and Financial Management. Supervisory responsibilities are subject to change based on organizational alignment.
From time to time the employee will be required to perform additional tasks and duties as required by the employer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience with programming is preferred, but not required; rather than spending time writing code, the CIO will invest energy into charting and leading DHS’ efforts to better serve its clients.
- Fiercely committed to the mission of improving the lives of the County’s most vulnerable residents.
- Entrepreneurial leadership skills: a passion for proactively seeking out and strengthening areas of organizational weakness.
- Experience with developing and executing a large-scale Strategic Plan, focusing on long term success and sustainability.
- History of risk tolerance to better serve customers.
- Experience finding unlikely solutions in unexpected places.
- Strong knowledge of current and emerging technologies including web service and API approaches (SOAP, XML, JSON, etc.), DB platforms (Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.).
- Experience managing a talented team of business experts and IT product owners.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working in a government or nonprofit sector; a good understanding and passion for human services work.
- Ability to prioritize and project manage multiple stakeholder requests to better serve DHS clients, while effectively managing expectations and maintaining great working relationships with various stakeholders.
- A proven track record of success in leadership roles.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, consistent with applicable law.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or 5 years of IT experience,
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which meets the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Act 33 and 34 clearances.
Location/Region: Pittsburgh, PA