The Position: Program Manager
The Program Manager is responsible for leading the Cross-functional project teams and business metrics in the execution of a variety of projects ranging from continuous improvement of existing products to the development and implementation of new components, processes and products. This position will be responsible for leading major and complex product development projects from conception through completion. Particular emphasis will be placed on leading the Engineering and new product development tasks and assignments, and will rely on detailed project engineering deliverables. The successful candidate will be a key stakeholder in the development and implementation of products into the market and the processes to ensure on cost, on time and high performance commercialization. This position must drive ownership of the product pipeline from all aspects of talent management to value propositions and business metrics.
- Develop and implement projects/programs in multiple products, including new products and evolutionary features.
- Manage resources and deliverables with internal talent and external opportunities.
- Develop and execute project schedules, based on requirements and market needs.
- Own project definition, business metrics and project management of multiple projects and teams.
- Lead engineering in a methodical and fact-based process, as well as cross-functional support teams from concept to completion of the project, including lessons learned and their application. Accountable for the daily results and performance of engineering members of the project team.
- Own development and implementation of process to support product performance, quality and on time delivery (QCD).
- Train, and mentor other Engineers and supporting staff, especially in the areas of product development process and project management methods.
- Input and assessments of project team members for performance reviews.
- Develop and manage schedules of all functions to ensure timely completion.
- Ensure APQP compliance during engineering development activities, as well as interface deliverables.
- Manage access to trucks and OE CAD data via various avenues including SEMA and direct contact with OEM representatives.
- Insure mold shop/production tooling schedules are aligned to project schedules, as well as insure supplier tooling and production readiness activities are coordinated to meet project needs.
- Benchmark competitor’s products, produce technical, and market analysis as needed during early stages of projects.
- Utilize and coordinate robust product designs practices within Engineering.
- Interface with customers to obtain technical requirements and engineering specifications (QFD and related activities).
- Own all aspects of product development from charter and Voice of Customer to production and market readiness - including installation guides with training for sales and customer service personnel to ensure market launch success.
- Lead (directly and indirectly) all aspects of engineering (process, procedure, costed BOMs, product standards, etc.) within a product development team environment.
- Carry out cross-functional assignments and projects as necessary.
- Support safety initiatives, policies and procedures to ensure plant operations are safe and consistent with company standards and help reduce accidents and injuries.
- Exemplify and foster teamwork within the company. Promptly respond to concerns, issues, and suggestions and acts to ensure positive employee relations.
- Ensure full compliance to all applicable requirements and specifications imposed by the company, the customer and/or the industry.
- Other duties as assigned or needed.
Characteristics, Skills & Requirements:
● Strong project management skills as a project engineer, product engineer, engineering team leader or other program management experience.
● Previous OEM Automotive experience, or similar industry, with ability to switch from engineering leader, to project manager, to OEM program execution.
● BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering, related or equivalent.
● Experience with development and ownership of “concept to completion” stage gate methodology.
● Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Must be a self-starter capable of working both independently, as well as part of a team.
● Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule.
● Work may require occasional weekends and/or evening work.
● The ability to travel is required - estimated 20%. Valid driver’s license.
● Critical thinking, analysis and creativity.
● Previous project engineering responsibilities for 3-5 years in an environment with multiple work-streams, multiple stakeholders and sometimes-limited leadership input – self-starter who can accomplish deliverables with minimum management.
● Understanding of Product Data Management systems and workflow
● Experience in presenting gate reviews, gate packages, senior leadership product development reviews in a disciplined and detailed product development process.
● Must be able to balance team and individual responsibilities, giving and receiving feedback, while supporting efforts to succeed.
● Generating creative solutions and being able to translate concepts and information into images.
● Must have strong computer skills and be proficient with Microsoft Office software and related packages.
● Must have strong analytical skills and be well organized, an excellent problem solver, motivator, and decision maker.
● Working knowledge of truck and vehicle accessories, plastics technology, fiberglass manufacturing would be a plus along with project experience in the automotive, OEM, construction, industrial, or vehicle/equipment/aftermarket industry.