About American Ordnance
At American Ordnance, we know the stakes and We do what we say! ® We’re the team working behind the scenes to make sure our nation’s front lines have safe, high-quality ammunition. As a trusted premier manufacturer of ammunition to the U.S. Military, some of our capabilities range from production of direct and indirect fire, warheads, to special projects and beyond. With more than 70 years of experience and Day & Zimmermann behind us, it’s no surprise that our teams consistently exceed expectations! Come join in on our purpose – We put people to work, we protect American freedoms, and we help our customers power and improve the world!
We’re looking for a full-time, staff Administrator, Contracts 2 to join our American Ordnance team located in Middletown, IA.
- for the day to day management for contract negotiation/administration of government and commercial contracts for complex government and commercial programs concerning domestic and international end use. Manage and/or conduct front-end strategic assessment of business pursuits, as directed by our business partners, proposal preparation, contract negotiation, and contract administration, including assisting supply chain with proper subcontracting and flow-down provisions to ensure proper contract formation and compliance in accordance with customer requirements; company objectives and applicable laws and regulations. Subject matter expert (SME) for all questions regarding "contracts" for all assigned business programs of the business and assist and back up the Director, Contracts Administrator as required.
As the Contracts Administrator, here’s the work you’ll do:
- Administers contracts, keeping all informed of status and interpreting contractual provisions
- Negotiates initial contracts or modifications
- Prepares reports and maintains accurate files and records of all communication
- Identify and manage risk management mitigation actions in all business operations and effectively communicates risks to functional management
This role is for you if you have these skills:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to draft documents to include legal contracts, amendments, provisions and terms and conditions, in full or in part to a basic degree of proficiency. Proficiency in Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and other software programs
- Responds promptly to customer needs; both internal and external. Maintains confidentiality. Experienced negotiator. Listens and gets clarification. Responds well to questions. Has excellent phone skills. Writes clearly and informatively. Edits work for spelling and grammar. Presents numerical data effectively. Able to read and interpret written information
And if you have these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Contracting required
- 5 years’ experience working in contracts or closely with customers negotiating terms
- Valid driver's license is required
- Experience with multiple contract types (FFP, FPIF, CPFF, CPA/IF, T&M)
- Basic knowledge and understanding of DoD Government contracts, including those with FAR/DFAR provisions.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Detail and teamwork oriented
To ensure a safe work environment while meeting the physical demands of the job, you must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks, with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
We care about our employees and it shows. Our staff receive a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical/Rx, dental and vision coverage; life, AD&D and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 100% paid maternity leave for up to 12 weeks, parental leave, family leave, other paid time off; voluntary benefits and discount programs to meet our employees’ individual needs including pet insurance for our furry family members!
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? APPLY NOW! Talent Acquisition Partner: Chris Pinto
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance, A Day & Zimmermann Company is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over a century of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.