SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL DESIGNER (SPACE SUIT PATTERNMAKER)
- Patterns soft goods assemblies including space suit layers accelerated timelines
- Review specifications and other engineering data to develop new soft goods and mechanical assemblies in CAD
- Update designs and drawings through engineering change orders to support SpaceX’s rapid pace of design iteration
- Create detailed component and assembly drawings incorporating an understanding of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, technical or design discipline
- 1+ years mechanical design and drafting experience (including internships or personal projects)
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Unigraphics, Solidworks)
- Experience with patterning for soft goods / clothing
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with NX and Teamcenter
- Experience with complex patterns for clothing items such as gloves, jumpsuits, footwear
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T and tolerance stack-ups
- Hands-on experience working in school club or project teams designing hardware in a highly constrained system under defined timelines
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Ability to work and communicate well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and leadership
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together to achieve buy-in for a unified design direction
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
- Must be available to work long hours and weekends as needed
- Willing to travel to various SpaceX sites (up to 25%)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA