GET is seeking qualified individuals for the position of Nuclear Weapons Subject Matter Expert (SME) in support of the Department of Energy's Office of Classification in Germantown, Maryland.
Work will be performed primarily at the DOE facility in Germantown, Maryland. This long-term position provides relocation support to the Germantown area.
The SME conducts classification review and analysis of government material in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, DOE orders, and DOE Office of Classification procedures for Restricted Data (RD), Formerly Restricted Data (FRD), and National Security Information (NSI) technical areas such as:
- Nuclear weapon design, development, testing, production, and deployment
- Weapon science
- Inertial confinement fusion (ICF)
- Ballistic missile and/or reentry body/vehicle design, development, testing, production, and deployment
- Special nuclear material (SNM) production technologies such as, but not limited to, isotope separation technologies (atomic vapor laser isotope separation, gaseous diffusion, gas centrifuge, etc.) and nuclear material processing
- Counterintelligence and nuclear intelligence
- Military utilization of nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon effects
- Nuclear nonproliferation (technology and/or safeguards programs)
- Radiological weapons and improvised nuclear devices
- Space nuclear reactors and naval nuclear propulsion
MUST possess an active DOE Q clearance or an active DoD Top Secret clearanceExperience & Skills:
The SME shall:
- Have five (5) years' total field experience working in one or more of the nuclear-related subject areas described in the bullet points above.
- Have direct experience in the nuclear weapon programs and related activities at DOE and/or DoD, and have some familiarity with classification and sensitive information related activities.
- Have comprehensive, detailed knowledge of how a thermonuclear weapon is constructed and a clear understanding of why and how a thermonuclear weapon works.
Additionally, the SME will have served a two (2)-year tour of duty as a military service Military Research Associate (MRA) or other similar
commercial and/or private service, at a national laboratory in the nuclear weapon area such as:LLNL employees in Weapons and Complex Integration
a. Weapon Physics and Design Program
b. Weapon Technologies and Engineering
c. Weapon Simulation and ComputingLANL employees in Weapons Program
a. Weapons Physics
b. Weapons Production
c. Weapons EngineeringSNL employees in Nuclear Weapons Program
a. Weapons Engineering
b. Research and Development
c. Stockpile Management and Stewardship
d. Weapons Science & TechnologyMilitary assignments/positions which involve use of weapons science/engineering/simulation
a. Certain work at DTRA and military nuclear weapons programs/facilities
b. Does not include assignments to operational units (SSBN, USSTRATCOM, etc.)NNSA Production Facilities employees whose work involves use of weapons science/engineering/simulation
a. KCNSC employees in nuclear security mission whose work includes use of weapon design/science/engineering information
b. Y-12 employees whose work includes use of weapon design/science/engineering informationSpecialized nuclear weapon design/science/engineering training
a. Weapon Intern Program
Please note that the above list is not comprehensive. The key aspect of any equivalent tour is exposure to information about, general understanding of, and familiarity with the "physics package,"
in other words the design (configuration, materials, etc.) and functioning (physics of a thermonuclear weapon - implosion, fission, boosting, etc.). While desired, this equivalent field experience need not rise to the level of subject matter expertise in nuclear weapon design/science/engineering (found in parts of the organizations listed above, such as A, B, or Z-Division at LLNL or X-Division at LANL).Education:
Requires a Master's degree in one of the physical sciences (or a related area of engineering) from an accredited college or university.BenefitsWe provide exceptional benefits to our full-time employees
(spouse/family coverage option available at a company-subsidized rate).Benefits include:
All benefits are effective on day one of employment.
- Medical plan options under United Health Care
- Long-/Short term Disability under MetLife
- 401(k) match with Principal Financial
Location/Region: Germantown, MD (20875)