The Student Union, Inc. is 501(c)(3) nonprofit auxiliary that maintains three major facilities at San José State University in downtown San José, California. These facilities include the Diaz Compean Student Union Building, the Provident Credit Union Event Center, and the Spartan Recreation and Aquatic Center. The Student Union, Inc. functions as part of the Student Affairs Division on campus, and is governed by a Board of Directors made up of a student majority, faculty, and administrators.
The Student Union, Inc. of San Jose State University supports the development, growth, and well-being of students and the campus community by providing diverse programs, desired services, and quality facilities to enhance the collegiate experience.
Reporting to the Director of Facilities and IT the Manager, Building Maintenance will be responsible for providing an environment of collaboration and building strong relationships with internal and external constituents, and overseeing the maintenance and continuous operation of all building systems, to ensure the safety and quality experience for all customers and guests using the Student Union, Event Center, and Student Recreation & Aquatic Center facilities.
The Manager, Building Maintenance works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions, adheres to compliance laws, policies and codes related to not- for-profit corporations, facility safety and concerns, as well as state and CSU mandates. Implements procedures to identify and correct potentially hazardous or unsafe working conditions. Mitigates risk where appropriate through knowledge of policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the maintenance functions and oversee all Student Union, Inc. facilities, included but not limited to physical buildings, mechanical equipment, plumbing, electrical systems, generators, lighting, HVAC (VAVs, VFDs), fire/life safety systems.
- Perform troubleshooting of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) systems.
- Lead a group of maintenance technicians with minor project work, routine repairs, and preventative maintenance.
- Train and provide mentorship to maintenance technicians to further develop skills and identifies required professional training and necessary certifications.
- Assist with determining the appropriate staffing levels and utilization of labor, including managing overtime.
- Identify safety hazards within the various facilities and incorporate the remediation of such hazards to ensure that the facility staff and occupants work in a safe environment. Implement, and manage safety training programs for all maintenance staff.
- Assist in the development of a capital plan, which would include planning for infra-structure upgrades, equipment replacements and facility modifications to ensure all the facilities’ capabilities are maintained.
- Responsible for ensuring that major projects performed at the facility are properly planned, executed and closed out in accordance with standard industry practices.
- Responsible for overseeing the activities of contractors working within the facilities, including work contracted directly by the Student Union, Inc. or by other entities (Tenants, Campus FD&O).
- Maintain all infrastructure and compliance documentation for the facilities, including up-to-date drawings as well as documentation mandated for maintaining regulatory compliance with Federal, State or Local law.
- Responsible for keeping maintenance records including fire/life safety inspections, daily maintenance, equipment readings, all engineering logs and engineering data sheets.
- Responsible to ensure that all maintenance staff and contractors are informed and knowledgeable with respect to functions and have the required professional training and certifications needed for the work being performed.
- Ensure staff, engineers, tenants, and contractors who perform work on the critical infrastructure understand the impact to the operations and events within the facilities.
- Assist the evacuation team with determining the location and cause of fire alarms, and assist with the operation of the equipment (fire pump, generators, fire panels, PIV valve, detectors, etc.)
- Performs additional job duties as requested.
- Ability to perform maintenance and troubleshooting of HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems, and to use construction principles to maintain maximum equipment and efficiencies.
- Ability to effectively organize, schedule, coordinate, and perform work, and adhere to safety measures and procedures under stress and within pressing deadlines.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of a contractors, and maintenance staff as necessary.
- Ability to rapidly acquire working knowledge of various mechanical systems and maintenance requirements for different types of department areas. E.g. conference facilities, recreation (bowling, fitness, gym, aquatics), arena operations.
- Ability to make decisions with a thorough understanding of procedures, organizational and university policies, and business practices to achieve optimal results and meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead by example and models behaviors that are consistent with the Student Union, Inc. and University standards and expectations.
- Ability to read, interpret and work from blueprints, plans, drawings and specifications and to make rough sketches.
- Ability to estimate costs, time and materials of mechanical work.
- Ability to work flexible hours determined by operational and building needs.
- Plans work activities to meet Student Union priorities and timelines; Utilizes existing and new resources efficiently; prioritizes multiple demands for commitment of time, energy and resources; adapts to changing priorities, situations and demands; integrates changes to support the business.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Under supervision, performs work that is varied and that may be somewhat difficult in character, but usually involves limited responsibility. Some evaluation, originality or ingenuity is required.
- May directly supervise assigned employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Corporation’s policies and applicable laws and regulations
- Supervise the daily activities of the department, including but not limited to, effective delegation of assignments, training and resources necessary to meet performance standards and assist employees in improving performance relevant to job requirements
- Develop and implement an effective performance and department goals and objectives, provide performance evaluations, and implement appropriate counseling
- Direct and monitor employees to ensure that they remain in compliance with policies and procedures
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Facility Management - Maintains quality facilities that meet the needs of students and the campus community. Receives predetermined work assignments that are subject to a moderate level of control and review. Directs subordinates to complete assignments using established guidelines, procedures and policies.
- Fiscal Management - Conducts operations in a fiscally sound manner while maintaining efficient and effective budgets’
- Leadership - Infuses the Mission and Vision of the Student Union into daily tasks and philosophy. Demonstrates organizational awareness and teaches direct reports. Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with people from diverse backgrounds; Maintains dignity and self-control in difficult situations; Supervisory responsibilities may include planning, assigning, and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving issues in a way consistent with corporate policies’
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Time Management – Maximizes use of time effectively and productively. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time’
- Communication Proficiency - Acts and behaves in a manner that reflects respect, courtesy and civility, appreciation, empathy, trust, inclusion and consultation. Establishes and maintains effective work relationships; offers assistance and support to co-workers. Understands lines of reporting, responsibility, and accountability.
- Ethical Conduct- Values and respects diversity and individual uniqueness and recognizes the strength these factors bring to the Student Union and SJSU community and learning environment.
- Problem Solving/Analysis- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; displays commitment to excellence; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; provides and applies feedback to improve performance of team; monitors teams work to ensure quality.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university and 2-5 years of previous professional experience. Typically this is the first level of an exempt position.
- Certificate in Refrigeration Service and Repair from a recognized trade school required; Universal CFC certification required;
- Additional certification in two or more of the following: electrical, mechanical, painting, plumbing, steam & chilled water system, carpentry, or motor/engine repair.
- Must have the ability to operate and troubleshoot EMS control systems.
- Experience with UFC, OSHA, NFPA and Building codes;
- Knowledge and understanding of all applicable practices and techniques, laws, project management, system commissioning, and environmental regulations to including safety regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to present information effectively.
- Ability to provide efficient, timely, reliable and courteous service to customers.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office
- Physical requirements to include stooping, standing, climbing and frequent lifting of a minimum of 75 lbs.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone
- Dexterity of hands, fingers, and wrist to operate a computer keyboard and calculator
- Seeing to read a variety of materials
- Must be able to stoop, stand and climb for extended period of time
- Physical agility to lift 75 pounds to shoulder height
- Physical agility to lift, carry, push, or pull objects
This position is exempt from the provisions of Section 1 of the California Industrial Welfare Commission Orders. The Student Union of San Jose State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The Student Union of San Jose State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected group.
Employment Type: Full Time
Years Experience: 3 - 5 years
Location/Region: San Jose, CA