Entry-Level Firefighter Application Process
Beardstown Fire Department
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of Beardstown, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of firefighter with the Beardstown Fire Department.
Salary: $48,115.01 (upon academy graduation and
completion of 12-month probationary period)*
*A new employee is on probation for (12) twelve months after completing all necessary training courses (Basic Operations Firefighter certification). If a new employee already has the minimum level of training (Basic Operations Firefighter
certification), that employee's probationary period will be (12) twelve months from their date of hire.
Sworn Fire Service Personnel: 3
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Beardstown Board of Fire and
• U.S. citizenship;
• Minimum of 21 years of age –AND- not over the age of 35 at time of appointment, except as provided in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
• No felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions for crimes of moral turpitude;
• Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record;
• Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
• Possess 20/20 corrected vision with good depth perception and cannot be colorblind;
• Must successfully complete a written examination.
Candidates achieving a passing score will move onto the oral interview stage;
• Must successfully complete a background investigation,
polygraph, and psychological testing. NOTE: All applicants will be required to fully disclose all personal matters, to include agreements and sealed files;
• Must successfully complete a medical and visual
examination, including drug and alcohol screening;
• Submit your application on-line no later than Friday,
November 13, 2020 at 4 PM;
• Participate in mandatory remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Thursday, November 19, 2020 through Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. Preference points will be awarded as determined by the City of Beardstown Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the following:
• Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) must be submitted with application to qualify.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
The City of Beardstown and The Beardstown Fire Department
are an Equal Opportunity Employer.