Imagine...working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
Job Summary (State overall purpose of the job in 2-3 sentences)
The Packaging Machine Operator, under the general supervision, is responsible for the safe, efficient and continuous operation of snack packaging machinery.
Essential Job Duties (Most important job duties explained clearly and concisely. If mandatory overtime is required, please list that here.)
- Reads production schedule and plans accordingly.
- Efficiently maintains the operation of packaging machinery by monitoring codes, dates and prices.
- Maintains an adequate supply of roll stock and ensures all packaging materials available for each machine.
- Adjusts machine micro logic set-up as needed to maintain an efficient and low waste operation.
- Understands and demonstrates the necessary skills involved to efficiently operate packaging equipment in so far as, but not limited to, machine setups, changeovers, proper running, procedural adjustments, sanitation cleanup, and shutdown.
- Properly plans ahead for machine changeovers and efficiently changing from one product item to another.
- Monitors and adjusts each machine to ensure proper cut off of film and bags have proper end seals and back seals as required.
- Ensures machines are running at standard speeds.
- Monitors and checks weights and product appearance as required.
- Properly accounts for product run off and handles this product accordingly; sorts through and reworks all good product.
- Keeps machines and work areas clean, wipes packaging machines off and blows down area when required.
- Immediately reports any maintenance problems to Maintenance Mechanic or Supervisor.
- Practices and adheres to appropriate safety and hygiene guidelines/procedures for safe housekeeping and personal protection.
- Keeps work area aisles/exits clear and free from obstruction; removes trash from work area floor.
- Follows instructions for safe lifting/carrying of various sizes, shapes and weights; identifies/reports issues with equipment; reports all job-related injuries to supervision.
- May provide leadership and direction to packers.
- May be qualified to perform as Back-up Packaging Coordinator, or other technical/skilled position.
- If applicable, may monitor and replenish seasoning on overhead to ensure proper seasoning coverage on product.
- Mandatory overtime may be required.
- May perform other duties as required.
Statement of Coverage (In absence of incumbent, outline who will perform the essential duties and responsibilities; applicable for Quality Supervisors and Managers only.)
Scope of Responsibility
- No supervisory responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements (Knowledge, skills, and abilities normally required for competent performance in the job - writing skills, communication skills, analytical skills, attention to detail, license, specific technical skills, etc. List licenses or professional certifications required for the job.)
- Candidate must be comfortable communicating to team members and management staff.
- Candidate will be trained and must be able to perform all job functions within the department at any given time.
- Prerequisite: Complete training and any applicable examinations.
Education and Experience (Minimum and preferred educational requirements, years of experience needed to successfully perform the job - High School or GED, High School plus specialized vocation or technical education, college degree)
High School Diploma or GED and/or 1-year production experience in a manufacturing environment required.
Professional Licenses or Certifications (List professional licenses or certificates required for the job)
Where applicable, Forklift Certification obtained.
Physical Demands (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job)
Must be able to comply with the physical demands of constantly lifting and moving stock by hand or with manual equipment (including pallet jacks and forklifts). Ability to lift 40+ lbs. on a regular basis, and occasionally be able to lift/move more than 50+ lbs. with mechanical or peer assistance.
- Sitting - Seldom
- Standing - Continuously
- Walking - Frequently
- Using hands - Continuously
- Climbing - Occasionally
- Stooping, Kneeling - Frequently
- Talking, Hearing - Continuously
- Tasting, Smelling (if applicable) - Occasionally
- Two Handed Carry - Frequently
- Pushing - Frequently
- Pulling - Frequently
- Overhead Work Standing - Frequently
- Ladder Climbing - Frequently
- Repetitive Twisting Standing - Continuously
- Repetitive Twisting Sitting - Seldom
- Hand Dexterity - Continuously
- Bending - Continuously
- Up to 10 pounds - Continuously
- Up to 25 pounds - Frequently
- Up to 60 pounds - Continuously
- Up to 100 pounds - Occasionally
- More than 100 pounds - Seldom/Never
Work Environment (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of the job)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Travel Required (Indicate type of travel and % of time travel is required)
Minimal travel may be required.
Snyder's-Lance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.
Location/Region: Charlotte, NC