SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANAGER, ELECTRICAL DESIGN (SATELLITES)
SpaceX services a diverse range of clients and their payloads. Missions supporting scientific research, classified national security space, and commercial opportunities are all in work. As we expand our classified mission manifest, we are looking for electrical design managers to join our team.
As a manager of the electrical design team, you will have the exciting opportunity to be responsible for and drive the architecture for flight hardware! You will demonstrate extreme ownership of this hardware through deep understanding of your team’s hardware’s functionality, design, and requirements and see it through all aspects of its life cycle from inception through flight. You will also work with other disciplines and think at a system level to ensure that each engineer’s designs are viable and your contributions will directly impact mission success. Our development timelines are aggressive and you will be asked to rigorously explore solutions for previously unsolved problems.
We’re looking for people who want to dive in and get their hands dirty and those who are not afraid to make important decisions and work to provide a data driven rationale. Every day we push the limits of what is possible through innovation, determination, and teamwork and we’re only just beginning.
- Provide engineering expertise in the design, development, and test of space hardened avionics hardware
- Manage and mentor electrical design and development engineers
- Scope development projects and determine resource needs
- Rapidly design, develop and test highly reliable electronics for satellites
- Drive electrical architecture, product requirements, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, product management, productization, manufacturing, and test
- Partner with software, firmware, mechanical, layout, environments, integration, harnessing, test, manufacturing and production teams to deliver fully functional product
- System engineering efforts to ensure design meets all intents and does not adversely impact other groups or designs
- Support hardware through test, production, integration, and flight
- Consistently innovate to improve reliability and capabilities while minimizing cost and schedule
- Develop and ensure schedules are maintained and report team status regularly
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or similar engineering degree
- 5+ years of professional experience designing and delivering electrical hardware
- 2+ years of technical leadership experience as a manager or lead with direct reports
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering or similar engineering degree
- 7+ years of professional experience rapidly designing and delivering highly reliable products
- 7+ years of electronic product experience designing electrical hardware from concept through production; strong emphasis on full life cycle development of new hardware products and not small incremental updates to legacy hardware
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing mixed-signal circuit boards from concept through production using processors, FPGAs, Ethernet, multi-GHz Serdes, DRAM interfaces (DDR4), I2C, SPI, operational amplifiers, analog to digital and digital to analog converters, and power supply components
- 7+ years of professional experience with hands on testing, troubleshooting and debugging electronics
- 7+ years of professional experience with fast-paced projects
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience
- Strong understanding of computers and programming languages (Python, C/C++)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly cross-functional role
- Ability to work in an autonomously driven and demanding startup atmosphere
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry and human spaceflight
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA