The position will advise Nichols Farms staff and outside growers on best methods to improve irrigation application timing, efficiency, and monitoring. The position will also make evaluations and recommendations on crop nutritional programs. Lead special assignments/projects assigned VP of Farming and request from our grower partners. In addition, this individual must be able to work with a spirit of cooperation with other departments.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Crop Nutrition: Making evaluations and recommendation on crop nutritional programs.
- Irrigation: Review, evaluate the Nichols Farms drip systems and develop strategies using drip methods and technology to include deficit irrigation.
- Deciduous Orchard Canopy Management: Have a working knowledge of deciduous orchard canopy management to include tree structure, pruning, hedging, topping, and tying for new mature orchards.
- Orchard System & Equipment: Have a working knowledge of cultural practices within the orchard to include mowing, disking, pesticide application with spray booms and airblast sprayers, precision pesticide applications, fertilizer application, mechanical harvesting, pre-plant and post plant operation, and orchard removal.
- Pest Management: Scientific knowledge of applied pest management and the ability to convey that knowledge to others.
- Agricultural Research: Be able to perform applied agricultural research on the farm. This would include developing trial designs, collecting data and analyzing results and making recommendations based on findings.
- Extension/Consulting with Private Industry: Ability to advise Nichols Farms growers on Good Agricultural Practices.
- Organic Systems: Have a familiarity with organic and sustainable agriculture practices.
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written skills as well as ability to make presentations.
- Team oriented: Operates effectively with teams and work groups. Actively participates in problem solving and works collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Analytical: Ability to analyze, collect, and interpret soil, leaf and water samples
- Interpersonal: Ability to effectively build relationships with co-workers and outside colleagues.
- Detail-oriented: Attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Agronomist Job Description
- Organized: Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task and have the ability to
- Supports, promotes and models the values of Nichols Farms.
- Continuous Improvement: Active participant in continuous improvement initiatives and goals. Seeks opportunities to improve self and processes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Plant Science or related field.
- Solid background in math and chemistry.
- Experience in analyzing, collecting, and interpreting soil, leaf and water samples.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in orchard management preferred.
- Proficient in Excel and computer skills.
- Valid California Driver’s License and ability to meet company insurance requirements
Licenses/System knowledge Preferred:
- CCA (Certified Crop Advisor) license
- GIS (Global Information Systems) Software experience
- Precision Ag experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk for periods of time. As well as climb ladders, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as designated by the company. Primary work will be in an outdoor setting that includes dust, wet environment and cold and hot weather.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.