ACADIANA LEGAL SERVICE CORPORATION, a non-profit public service firm, is accepting applications for the following positions:
Staff Attorneys – The Child In Need of Care Unit (CINC) is looking for licensed, full time Staff Attorneys to represent children in abuse, neglect, and abandonment cases. Three positions are available in the CINC Unit in the Monroe office. Additional positions also are available in Alexandria. Legal experience in child welfare law is preferred, but not required. Extensive local travel is required. These position offers a competitive salary, depending on experience, and great fringe benefits. For the attorney positions, an outside practice of law is prohibited by federal law. AA/EEO Employer.
- Research laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, or other information related to cases before the court.
- Prepare briefs, legal memoranda, or statements of issues involved in cases, including appropriate suggestions or recommendations.
- Confer with judges concerning legal questions, construction of documents, or granting of orders.
- Draft or proofread judicial opinions, decisions, or citations.
- Review complaints, petitions, motions, or pleadings that have been filed to determine issues involved or basis for relief.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing — Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.