OA seeks Executive Director starting Nov 15.
OA began as a reading series in New York City, inspired by a candid talk the travel writer Pico Iyer gave at Yale in 2013. A community of journalists and travel writers galvanized around the idea that “the detour is the story” and hosted themed storytelling nights, in which writers divulged untold travel tales. Full backstory in this short video.
In spring 2016, OA launched a weekly web column called “Letter to a Stranger," and unfurled the "Behind the Feature" column shortly thereafter. The first print volume of OA stories was released in the summer of 2017, featuring the best of four years of OAstorytelling. See here for a look at this 100-page collection.
Off Assignment’s co-founders are now seeking an Executive Director to carry forward the project's grassroots mission.
The ideal candidate is someone who can:
- Galvanize others with their passion and vision
- Manage a far-flung team of editors and volunteers
- Liaise well with writers and photographers
- Fundraise among existing patrons and Kickstarter supporters
- Create a budget & business plan and manage the fiscal inner workings of OA
- Recognize and shape stellar content, in line with the OA brand
- Communicate well with the Board of Directors and Advisory Board
- Grow our digital operation, including our newsletter and podcast
- Learn quickly and take the helm confidently
Desired experience includes:
- 2-5 years experience managing a team
- Significant experience fundraising
- Experience in publishing, either in print or online
- Organizational experience in the nonprofit or corporate realm
- Expertise in the digital realm, including social media and web publishing
The Executive Director role entails:
- Managing editorial team and curating editorial
- Developing a strategic plan and business model
- Reporting to the Board of Directors as well as the Advisory Board
- Fundraising his/her own salary beyond the first trimester (Nov 15-Feb 15)
- Cultivating partnerships with colleges, sponsors, and sister publications
- Overseeing newsletter publication and OA.com
- 20-25 hour/week commitment
- $10,000 stipend for the first trimester (Nov 15-March 15). Executive Director will be in charge of fundraising his/her own salary henceforth
- Executive Director can be located anywhere, but preference may be given to a candidate based in the New York City region, as our Board of Directors and broader community exists there
- The possibility of office space exists for a NYC-based candidate
- New Executive Director will overlap for a period of time with current Executive Director so they are fully supported and gain all information necessary to move ahead
Please send us the following materials to
, with the subject line "APPLICATION":
- A cover letter that details: 1) your particular interest in the position; 2) the experience that equips you for it; 3) your current work/life situation and how OA would be negotiated with other jobs and responsibilities
- A current CV
Note: Generic cover letters won’t advance your application. This is a highly unique and impactful role; we need a sense of why you are drawn to this project and what makes you a prime fit.
Application deadline is October 15th. Candidates will be interviewed in late October. We are also seeking a new Assistant Editor for curate the "Letter to a Stranger" essay series, so do be in touch if you're generally intrigued by OA and want to get involved in a more limited capacity.
Thanks very much for your interest.
The OA Team