Assists in the verbal and written communications translation of languages other than English for the Amphitheater Public Schools. Must be fluent in Somali)
THE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED.
- Prioritizes requests from district staff to translate English to other language(s).
- Promotes the language and academic development of individual students and small groups by leading learning activities under the direction of the teacher.
- Prepares translated material for use by district staff, such as documents, policy memoranda, booklets, letters, or verbal communication transcriptions.
- Assists in typing and/or finalizing translations of letters, memos, bulletins and announcements.
- Maintain official copies of translated documents.
- Notifies department of completed translations and arranges for pick up or delivery.
- Provide verbal interpreting services at meetings, hearings, conferences, and other forums.
- Assists in proofreading completed translations and reviews for accuracy and correct grammatical content.
- Greets visitors and directs them to appropriate office. Answers telephone and transfers calls to appropriate personnel and takes messages.
- Provides meaningful access for limited English proficient students and parents through timely language assistance (translation) services related to school and district programs and activities.
- Advises district staff on proper language grammar usage as well as cultural diversity issues.
- Attends school related activities and meetings.
- Provides administrative-teacher-parent liaison as needed.
- Provides parent-student assistance for doctor and clinic appointments as needed.
- May handle materials and/or discussions of a confidential nature.
- Must be able to work and take direction from administrative, teachers and district personnel.
- Promotes and supports district wide educational advancement in 21st Century skills
- Integrates knowledge and skills that are relevant to the 21st Century
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED
- Bilingual verbal and written communication skills and one-year experience translating and interpreting materials and/or conversations in both languages are required.
- Must be able to demonstrate expertise and competency in interpreting and translating.
- One year experience in general office procedures
- Any equivalent combination of training, education or experience that meets the minimum qualifications.
- One year working with children
- Associates Degree
Salary: $10.29 - $10.63 per hour
Equal Opportunity Employer
The District will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion/religious beliefs, age, disability, political beliefs/affiliation, marital status, citizenship status, national origin, home language, family, social or cultural background.
About this company
Amphi Public Schools offers a great working environment and strong traditions that provide unique experiences in the workplace. We look for dedicated support staff, teachers and administrators that are committed to student learning and excellence in education.