Job Title – Lead Electrical Engineer
Job Location – Rochester, NY
Job Code – CS20171602-17212
Harris Corporation is a leading technology innovator, solving our customers’ toughest mission-critical challenges by providing solutions that connect, inform and protect. Harris supports customers in more than 125 countries and has approximately $8 billion in annual revenue. The company is organized into four business segments: Communication Systems, Space and Intelligence Systems, Electronic Systems, and Critical Networks.
Embedded electrical design engineer will be a member of a cross functional team with hands on responsibility for all phases of the FPGA firmware development process from requirements definition through integration and testing of completed product, with an emphasis on Information Assurance (IA) security design tasks including security design documentation and security design testing. Responsiblities will include system/security/firmware analysis, architecture definition, high-level design, detailed design, implementation, testing/verification, documentation, and government certification of embedded FPGAs for radio or other communications products. Requires the application of the principles and techniques of engineering and mathematical analysis.
The ideal candidate would have both FPGA firmware design and verification skills as well as experience in the government certification of high grade security communications products. However, candidates with exceptional backgrounds in either FPGA Firmware or IA/Secure Design will be considered.
- Responsible for research, design, and development of FPGA programmable logic systems, in conjunction with hardware product development.
- Responsible for verification using System Verilog or experience with Object Oriented programming with an interest in learning how to apply this to Universal Verification Methods (UVM).
- Design, implement, simulate, test, and maintain FPGA designs for advanced tactical radio equipment.
- Analyze requirements to determine feasibility of design within schedule and cost constraints.
- Consult with electrical engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interfaces between hardware, programmable logic, software/firmware, and operational performance requirements of the overall system.
- Develop and conduct FPGA system testing procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Provide technical support to internal and external customers.
- Perform VHDL/Verilog/System Verilog coding, timing analysis, constraint generation, test bench generation, test and integration of resultant programmable logic functionality.
- Perform software/FPGA/hardware component integration.
- Conduct/participate in design reviews.
- Identify, track, and repair defects.
IA/Secure Design/Government Certification
- Responsible for development and delivery of security deliverables required to obtain NSA Type 1 certification for radio products. This includes:
- security requirements, analysis, design, test, and configuration management documentation,
- formal test execution often for official government witnesses, and
- interaction with government officials to obtain necessary specifications and material, and to resolve problems.
- Interact with engineering personnel from other radio software and hardware sub-systems (Cryptographic Subsystem Software, Platform/Operating Environment Software, Waveform Software, Electrical Hardware, Mechanical, etc.) in order to understand security and technical requirements, design, implementation, and tests, and to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience (4 years with an MS degree) in FPGA HDL development and/or real time embedded object oriented C++ software development and/or IA/security design, development, and government certifications.
- 4+ years experience developing and testing FPGA designs implemented in VHDL, Verilog, and/or System Verilog.
- 4+ years experience in the overall FPGA development lifecycle including design, implementation, and verification.
- 4+ years experience with FPGA development tools and methodologies.
- 3+ years of experience producing FPGA development documents, such as design documents and test plans.
- 2+ years experience with verification methodologies such as UVM/OVM, including System Verilog functional coverage and System Verilog languages. Alternatively, 2+ years experience with Object Oriented software design and C++ language.
- Active Secret U.S. DOD Security Clearance (or inactive for less than 2 years).
- This position requires the candidate to already possess an active DOD Secret clearance (or a DOD Secret clearance inactive less than 2 years which can be immediately reactivated), and to maintain the clearance.
- US citizenship is required.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Thorough understanding of VHDL/Verilog/System Verilog languages and FPGA development tools and methodologies.
- Experience with Xilinx or Altera Quartus toolset, test bench generation and simulation, Matlab and ModelSim.
- Experience with design optimization for high speed data processing.
- Experience with designs for high speed processor interfaces and properly applying timing constraints to them.
- Thorough understanding of high grade security design techniques and principles.
- Thorough understanding of government certification requirements and processes.
- Familiarity with code, documentation, and process management tools such as SVN, DOORS, Oxygen, and XML.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of design, implementation and test of software-defined radio systems.
- Must be able to quickly gain familiarity and modify existing designs to add new capabilities.
- Universal Verification Methods (UVM) knowledge or experience.
- Familiarity with System Verilog, Verilog, and VHDL.
- Object Oriented Programming experience.
- Highly motivated, a self-starter, and able to operate with little supervision in diverse environments.
- A successful track record in planning, executing, and tracking personal task assignments.
- Experience leading small product development teams and mentoring other engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and debug FPGAs and related hardware/software issues.
- Cryptographic experience.
- Radio communications experience.
- EMI/EMC experience.