The RNA Research group at Sarepta Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our drug discovery team to advance our RNA platform and participate in developing new innovative therapies for patients with serious genetic diseases. This is an exciting opportunity for a creative scientist to lead a key drug discovery group in our research organization and play a central role in applying Sarepta's advanced RNA platform, based on our pioneering work with phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers, or PMOs, and PMO-related chemistries. The successful candidate will lead a team of biologists in our laboratories as well as manage collaborations and CROs as needed. She/he will be responsible for target discovery and validation efforts, characterization of mechanism of action of oligonucleotides and coordination of projects from target discovery through preclinical proof-of-concept, IND filing, and support of early clinical development.
- Leads the company's efforts in molecular biology and in vivo validation related to development of RNA therapeutics working within matrixed drug discovery research teams
- Provides scientific perspective and leadership for discovery projects of the company's early target portfolio through collaboration with heads of Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and other key members of the Sarepta Research and Development team
- As part of a multi-disciplinary team, successfully leads multiple drug discovery programs from the early drug discovery phase into preclinical development
- Effectively applies and enables state-of-the-art technologies and best practices to improve operational efficiency
- Work with internal teams on experimental design, integrated data analysis and deliver clearly articulated reports and data presentations to peers and management
- Serves as a research mentor to members of the laboratory and manage staff as needed
- Works with leadership team to ensure strategic plans align with corporate goals and long-term company plans
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD with 10+ years of relevant post-doctoral and/or industry experience in cell and molecular biology, pharmacology, biological engineering or related field, including 5+ years of relevant experience in managing teams in a biotech, pharma, academic or clinical laboratory environment
- Prior experience should also include a breadth of therapeutic platform experience, preferably encompassing oligonucleotides, biologics, or gene therapy
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on expertise in target discovery and validation are mandatory
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven record of empowering world class science and energizing teams
- Track record with and ability to execute multiple concurrent research projects within a cross-functional team environment, with contributions recognized by first/co-authors on research presentations, publications and patents
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner
- Flexibility to accommodate to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines and ability to leading others through change in a dynamic, fast-paced industry and work environment
- Independently motivated, detail oriented, and good problem-solving ability
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Sarepta Therapeutics offers a competitive compensation and benefit package.
Sarepta Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and participates in e-Verify.
Location/Region: Cambridge, MA