A national magazine publishing company in the Boulder, Colorado area is seeking an experienced, self-starting, detail-oriented editor-in-chief with a minimum of 10 years of experience specifically as a business/trade magazine editor. An additional minimum of five years business writer experience is also required. The Editor-in-Chief oversees all aspects of planning, managing and producing the content for a monthly trade magazine, as well as the daily editorial operations of a 4-person editorial team.
- Hire, coach and supervise business writers, editors and freelance photographers.
- Research feature story topics, industry business trends and business best practices
- Plan/facilitate the acquisition of all editorial content including all stories and photos.
- Proofread, copyedit and fact-check feature stories under strict deadlines.
- Collaborate with the production department to create the finished product under strict deadlines.
- Assign daily objectives to subordinates and freelance contractors including editors, staff writers and photographers.
- Coordinate editorial staff meetings and training to ensure company best practices and policies are adhered to.
- Resolve issues and problem-solve unexpected production delays, hold subordinates accountable, provide performance evaluations.
- Attend annual trade shows and industry events, build relationships with key industry leaders and research industry-specific trends and topics of interest to readers.
If you are a take charge, take responsibility, deadline-driven manager with extensive experience and expertise specifically producing business magazines, we want to hear from you.
The right candidate must have exceptional multi-tasking and organizational skills, have mission-driven vision and must be adept at providing leadership and training from working experience as a writer and editor. Please apply if you are comfortable researching and vetting content leads, cold calling organizations and business leaders for editorial content, are capable of error-free prose, have an eye for photo composition and story layout in a magazine format. The right candidate will have an impeccable work ethic, paired with an outgoing, friendly, team-oriented demeanor.
To apply, serious candidates who meet the qualifications will include a professional cover letter addressed to “Mr. Davis.”
Resumes that do not include a cover letter will not be considered. Local candidates in the greater Denver area (preferably North Denver/Boulder) will be given preferential consideration. This is an on-site position with no telecommuting. Travel is required 6 to 8 times per year to various trade/business events. Working hours vary from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., depending on deadlines and staff needs. Salary range is 70,000 to 80,000 DOE.
Location/Region: Louisville, CO (80027)