The Construction Operations Manager reports directly to the Company President and the Vice President. This position is responsible for planning, managing and overseeing all activities pertaining to construction, warranties, quality, safety, and administration for small to large-scale government construction projects at military installations in accordance with company policies and governmental regulations. The Construction Operations Manager develops construction strategies, internal process controls, to ensure achievement of Company revenue and profitability objectives by directing Project Managers, Estimators and other personnel to achieve efficient allocation of resources, timely project completion and quality product delivery that exceeds our customer expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and oversee all aspects of construction operations as it relates to safety, quality, cost control, project schedule, contract administration and employee relations.
- Collaborate with Executive team to set strategic direction and standards for operational performance, sustainability, and growth.
- Continually search for new opportunities and manage process for preparing proposals including assignment of process tasks and progress toward due dates to ensure adequate time for review and timely submission of proposals.
- Direct, plan, and manage utilization of project resources (facilities, equipment, budget, and personnel/subcontractors) to maximize efficiency and customer satisfaction. Identify areas to improve operations in order to achieve or exceed key performance indicators and targets.
- Maintain oversight and hands-on involvement with current projects, subcontractor relationships, company construction personnel and project targets. Develop Internal Process Controls and ensure compliance with policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Lead construction operations organizational planning, development and execution including monthly tracking & monitoring performance through routine reporting and operational meetings. Conduct weekly/monthly/final project reviews to ensure cost containment and process improvement.
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations. Maintain familiarity with government regulations, contract stipulations for each current contract, and company policies and best practices.
- Drive safety initiatives and awareness in assigned areas. Ensure items on annual risk assessment are addressed and completed.
- Work closely with Controller to report all financial results and manage all financial needs of organizational operations (e.g. materials, craft operations, overhead). Review quarterly results and analysis against budget and ensure visibility for performance management of cost controls.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, professional development and performance management of Project Manager staff, Quality Control Managers, Safety Officers, Superintendents, field construction teams, and other positions, as needed.
- Manage team schedules (PMs, QCs, Safety Officers, Project Superintendents) to maximize performance, minimize overtime, plan for vacation and absences.
- Conduct Team Member performance appraisals.
- Travel to construction project sites, as needed.
Ideal candidates will have at a minimum, a BS Degree in Engineering or Construction Management and 10+ years of construction experience, 7 years or more at a management level. Experience in the specialty trade of roofing is a requirement.
Candidate must have a strong working knowledge in MS Office and P6 or Microsoft Project.
Previous experience with Department of Defense or other federal agency construction projects, as a Prime Contractor, is preferred.
Must have experience understanding Government contract requirements.
Must have experience in Design/Build projects that require submitting staged submittals (50%/75%/100%).
Proficient in construction accounting and project budget management
- Managerial experience across multiple project sites
- Estimating and Budget experience
- Continuous Improvement and Change Management practices
- SOP Technical Writing experience and Internal Controls Design & Development
- Problem Solving/Troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication skills with company executives, project teams, subcontractors, and clients
- Thoroughness and attentiveness to details
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Proactive and deadline-oriented - Must be able to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers, vendors and employees at all levels of the organization
Temperature controlled office environment. Must be able to obtain Department of Defense security clearance and pass a background check. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel is expected. Experience with extreme temperatures and weather while on job sites, should be expected.
Must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting; operating a computer, keyboard, and other office equipment; safely drive an automobile; and walk stand and climb distances in construction settings in order to inspect the progress of assigned projects. Must be able to climb a ladder and stair scaffold.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.