Reporting to the Manger of Human Resources, the Benefits and Compensation Specialist is responsible for administration and coordination of the Company’s compensation plan, benefit plan, including health insurance, Long and Short Term Disability, the Defined Benefit Plan, the 401(k) plan, the Employee Assistance Program and the Wellness Program. This position ensures compliance with federal, state, and local benefit laws and regulation, including the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
- Administers human resource and benefit plans, programs and procedures for all company employees.
- Develops, recommends, and implements personnel policies and procedures related the Company’s benefit plan and in compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Performs compensation and benefit administration also include communication to employees, compliance, and reporting.
- Delivers Benefits/Pension and Wellness orientation to new employees.
- Facilitates continual human resource department efficiency improvements.
- Assures that company employment, personnel and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with the applicable provisions of federal and state labor laws, including the maintenance of necessary files.
- Create materials on Total Rewards programs for various purposes including executive and governance committees, annual reports, informational and training.
- Analyze and monitor external competitive practices and benchmarks, bringing forward and implementing appropriate recommendations and solutions to ensure that compensation, pension and benefits programs remain competitive.
- Educate all levels of the business on Total Rewards programs.
- Effectively build relationships with external vendors, consultants and third party service providers.
- Participate and/or lead annual and project work in compensation, benefits and pension work.
- Provide appropriate salary recommendations within applicable level of authority matrix for new hires, promotions, etc based on internal equity, external competitiveness and appropriate company compensation guidelines.
- Conduct the annual compensation planning process and STIP (BSC) process.
- Works in accordance with the documented environmental procedures, instructions, and specific responsibilities as defined in individual procedures and instructions. Reports problems or deviations associated with environmental issues and the Environmental Management System (EMS) to the Environmental Department.
Performs other related duties as assigned, including designated duties associated with System Restoration.
REQUIRED OR PREFERRED EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business or other related field or equivalent.
- Five (5) or more years in human resource related activities, Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification preferred.
- Experience and strong knowledge of employee benefits, pension and 401K.
- Experience working in a unionized workplace preferred.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, and knowledge of mathematics, and interpersonal relations skills required.
- Knowledge of federal and state benefit laws, including ERISA, and their practical application required.
- Valid Maine Driver’s license required.
- Strong computer skills required, i.e. Microsoft office programs (Excel focused).
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Position is primarily sedentary, with standing, walking and driving.
- Position requires significant reading, writing, and speaking.
- Position requires a significant amount of time using a personal computer.
- Some travel to company field locations or other meeting sites is required.
- Irregular hours may be required.
- Emera Maine is a tobacco free and fragrance free workplace.
Usual work hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Working between 40-50 hours is experienced. Off-hour monitoring of emergencies is anticipated.
RATE OF PAY:
Salary Level is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Emera Maine is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation/All Other Protected Class.
Location/Region: Bangor, ME (04401)