The Association for Psychological Science (APS), a DC-based scientific organization, seeks a highly motivated, detail oriented, and organized individual for the Director of Finance and Administration position. This is a full-time position in our Dupont Circle headquarters that provides the opportunity to contribute to and support all aspects of the association’s operations, bringing best practices and enthusiasm for working with our talented and dedicated staff.
About the Position
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director, the Director of Finance and Administration has primary responsibility for ensuring the effective and efficient management of all financial, administrative, and human resource functions of APS:
- Works closely with directors of all departments to create and oversee the organization’s annual operating budget of ~$7 million. Conducts monthly budget review meetings, cash flow analysis, and budget trend reviews, and prepares the quarterly financial reports for the Board of Directors. Assists the Deputy Director in managing the organization’s investment portfolio and endowment fund.
- Directs all internal operations related to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General Ledger accounting, ensuring compliance with GAAP, non-profit audit standards and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Supervises the preparation of annual audit package and form 990, serves as primary point of contact with the accounting consultants and audit firm.
- Reviews and manages all administrative files and contracts, including insurance policies, publishing agreements, equipment rental and maintenance, corporate banking, building lease, capital purchases, and all required financial record keeping (i.e., investment records, audit reports, tax returns).
- Administers all Human Resources functions, including but not limited to bi-monthly payroll, recruitment and hiring, orientation, annual enrollments for health insurance and flexible spending account plans, retirement plan management, and benefit support to all staff.
- Maintains all employee files and payroll information, ensuring confidentiality and compliance with federal and local mandates.
- Serves as organizational liaison to outside vendors and contractors, including building management company, benefits providers, insurance brokers, merchant services companies, and payroll processing.
- Supervises the Finance and Administration Coordinator, Office Coordinator, and embedded accounting firm staff.