Director of Finance
Are you interested in using your accounting and finance skills to help Milwaukee in their efforts to be the great city that it is? Do you have experience in an environment where legal and government compliance in financial reporting was essential to your work? Are you comfortable working as a true team member with all department leadership, communicating to Board members through meetings and reporting, and bringing a creative desire to see the big picture of the organization to try to find a way to say ‘let me help you with that’?
If you have a strong accounting/financial background that includes creation and updating of processes and are seeking a new purpose and passion, consider this Director of Finance opportunity at VISIT Milwaukee in downtown Milwaukee, WI.
Under the direction of the President & CEO, the Director of Finance manages all financial matters and some administrative matters. The Director of Finance is responsible for the direction and fiscal integrity of VISIT Milwaukee and Destination Milwaukee. Serves as Corporate Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, coordinate, implement and maintain comprehensive financial procedures and internal controls that maintain the fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Establish and monitor a system of internal controls to maintain integrity of operations, transactions, and safeguarding of assets. Develop and implement documentation procedures for all appropriate financial matters.
- Maintain all necessary financial records for internal operating control, corporate reports, and statutory requirements.
- Prepare all financial reports and statements in accordance with GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) and provide to staff and Board of Directors in a timely manner.
- Oversee all steps in the accounting cycle for VISIT Milwaukee, a non-profit 501c6 organization, and Destination Milwaukee, a 501c3 organization. Responsible for management and oversight of accounts payable and receivable, cash management, and general ledger. Oversee and review the daily work of staff accountant.
- Develop, implement, and monitor the annual budget in accordance with the annual strategic plan and in collaboration with senior staff. Ongoing monitoring of budget and day-to-day financial transactions for compliance and variances. Facilitate budget revision process as necessary.
- Prepare annual budget presentation for the Audit/Finance Committee, Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the financial planning and investment of VISIT Milwaukee funds in accordance with the bylaws and Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Ensure funds are deposited in FDIC backed instruments. Monitor cash flow and prepare cash flow projections.
- Oversee annual audit in coordination with independent auditing firm. Ensure required audit documentation is prepared prior to field audit. Serve as primary liaison to audit firm.
- File state sales and use tax returns, year-end 1099s, and other year-end tax reporting information
- Under the direction of the President & CEO and Director of Human Resources, and in accordance with the annual budget, administer the salary program.
- Administer annual performance reviews for direct reports.
- Assist with the selection and administration of employee benefit plan to include:
- Insurance benefits, including Health, HRA, Dental, Life & LTD, FSA, and voluntary Aflac options.
- Serve as plan trustee for company sponsored 401k plan. Ensure all fiduciary duties and reporting requirements are met as they relate to ERISA.
- Serve as primary staff contact with financial advisor.
- Oversee and manage the payroll system, including processing of bi-weekly payroll. Ensure compliance with federal and state payroll tax laws. Reconcile monthly and quarterly payroll reports; prepare year-end information for tax reporting. Train HR Coordinator on payroll input and review work.
Operations and Administration
Direct the purchase of all goods, services and equipment required by departments under the guidelines established by the strategic plan and budget, and ensure procurements are done competitively. Management of leased office space. Serve as primary contact with building management. Plan, design and allocate office space and oversee future VISIT Milwaukee office relocation plans.
- Review all legal contracts and agreements in coordination with President & CEO; act as one of the primary contacts with legal counsel.
- Oversee all business insurance policies to ensure adequate coverage and protection of assets and personnel.
- Attend industry training and events as appropriate. Represent VISIT Milwaukee at events as needed.
- Performs the duties of the office of Assistant Corporate Secretary as required by the By- Laws of VISIT Milwaukee.
- Attend all Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and other committee meetings as necessary.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Finance/Audit Committee. Make recommendations as it relates to internal financial controls for the organization. Schedule meetings as necessary for annual audit review, proposed budget approval and budget revisions. Record minutes of meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business, with a major in accounting or finance.
- Minimum ten years of demonstrated financial management experience.
- Prior management and supervisory experience.
- Strong financial and analytical skills including a working knowledge of accounting/financial procedures, GAAP, budget and audit processes.
- Experience with computerized accounting systems, payroll processing, and proficient in Excel
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and a commitment to business ethics and integrity.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and write effective reports and business correspondence.
- Experience with MS Office applications and CRM databases.
- Ability to travel by air and personal vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
VISIT Milwaukee is an award-winning convention & visitors bureau providing information on premier events, hotel accommodations, transportation, restaurants and fun things to do in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!