The Suburban Collection is seeking an experienced Controller with management experience to join our team!
Position Overview: As a Controller, you will work in all facets of general accounting – including managing the accounting for certain business units, managing staff ( up to 20 direct reports for our corporate location) , reviewing account analysis/reconciliations, general ledger and sub-ledger activity, action day-to-day needs, assisting with operational reporting, and month-end and year-end financial reporting requirements.
Company Overview: The Suburban organization believes that its strength, continued success, future growth and profitability depend on building trusting relationships with our employees, customers and industry partners.
Individual and organizational pride are critical elements of our future.
Our people make all the difference. This belief fosters a commitment to provide opportunities for growth and new challenges for our employees so they may achieve professional development and personal fulfillment.
Controller Responsibilities: * Manage accounting function for the office(s) of assigned business unit to ensure effective, accurate, and timely reporting of financial information including monthly financial statements within three business days of month-end.
* Manage direct reports including office managers for Troy locations, payroll administrators and some general administrative staff to ensure everyone is on the same page
* Manage and review account detail, schedules, journals, trial balance, general ledgers, financial statements, daily operating reports, and monthly recap documents on a regular basis to identify issues, errors or irregularities.
* Fix or report any issues, errors or irregularities on a timely basis.
* Effectively set priorities and monitor work assignments delegated to staff members.
* Provide on-the-job training and cross training for staff members.
* Evaluate the performance of staff members and recommend or defend requests for staff salary increases or possible termination.
* Administer payroll including financial records and personnel folders.
* Administer benefits and insurance program to all dealership employees.
Controller Expectations: * Must possess management skills in leadership; delegation and supervision, organizing and planning, and interpersonal skills including conflict resolution.
* Self-starter with an ability to work with limited supervision.
* Strives for continuous process improvement.
* Interacts effectively with co-workers.
* Organized with a keen attention to detail.
Maintain consistently high level of quality control.
* Sets example of understanding and following work rules and procedures for others
* Knowledge of applicable local, provincial, and federal regulations and laws as they pertain to the general office function.
* Must be available to work normal business hours of dealership, overtime as necessary and be punctual.
* Maintain a very high level of ethics and confidentiality
* Observe rules of confidentiality as they relate to customer information, both internally and in dealing with outside individuals and vendors
* Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred, other business degrees will be considered
* At least 6 years accounting experience
* CPA preferred. * Management experience of a team * Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to adapt to multiple software programs
* Ability to read and comprehend instructions and information.
* Professional appearance. * Excellent communication skills
* Prior experience within a dealership environment preferred.
What we offer: * Family-oriented work environment with an open-door policy.
* Growth opportunities - 32 different automotive brands in over 44 locations.
* Vacation and Holiday pay. * Full benefits including maternity leave, medical, dental, vision, short-term disability insurance, company-paid life insurance - 2x annual income, 401k with company match
* Company-wide wellness program (open to all employees and spouses).
* Company stability - 70 years, continual growth, largest auto group in Michigan, 14th largest in US, annual sales in excess of $2 billion.
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Location/Region: Troy, MI (48084)