SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIONICS MATERIALS ENGINEER
SpaceX continues to decrease launch costs with technologies such as reusable rockets, making space travel more accessible than ever before. We are also building a global constellation of internet satellites to provide broadband connectivity to the world.
The Materials Engineering team supports the company in the pursuit of these goals. In this role, you will work on the materials-related challenges related to avionics, which include printed circuit boards (PCBs), printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), RF devices, battery assemblies, transducers and harnessing used on all of our spacecraft (including boosters, satellites and capsules).
The successful candidate combines technical excellence with a genuine desire to serve internal customers. If this sounds exciting to you, we want to hear from you
- Lead design decisions related to selection of materials and processes for space applications
- Brainstorm new technical solutions to evolving challenges
- Develop and qualify new materials and processes in the following areas
- PCBs and PCBAs (solder, conformal coatings, etc.)
- RF devices and antennas
- Batteries assemblies
- Harnessing (cables and wires)
- Generate and execute test plans and specifications
- Support drawing and specification reviews.
- Work with Supply Chain to identify qualified vendors and test houses to perform testing and manufacturing
- Assist in failure analysis and implement corrective actions
- Bachelor’s degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, physics or electrical engineering
- 3+ years of experience with electronic materials such as encapsulants, solders, coatings, metals, dielectrics used in PCBs/PCBAs, RF devices, batteries, and transducers.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemical engineering, physics or electrical engineering or other relevant field of study.
- Experience with PCBs
- Experience with PCBAs and manufacturing processes
- Solder paste deposition and reflow
- PCBA cleaning procedures
- Conformal coatings materials and processes
- Experience with RF materials
- Low permittivity and low loss tangent materials
- Novel RF antenna design
- RF circuit board design and physics
- Experience with batteries assemblies and their manufacturing processes
- Experience transducers, sensors and telemetry systems.
- Experience with process engineering in a manufacturing setting, including process control and yield analysis.
- Genuine desire to serve internal customers
- Kind in nature and able to earn the trust of colleagues
- Resourceful and thrives in a scrappy entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work long hours and some nights and weekends when needed
- Ability to travel if needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Location/Region: Hawthorne, CA