This position will provide hands-on and curriculum opportunities for the children of Hope Center for Women and Children to learn through Biblically-sound activities, as well as spiritual and life skills learning. This often involves the children’s mothers with the goal to provide nurturing, trusting, and caring relationships to children using grace-based principles. Positive interaction with Hope Center mothers, children, staff, and volunteers is a necessary component to this position. Duties require a broad understanding of early childhood principles and behavioral problems.
- Participate in the spiritual growth and Christian instruction of those whom Hope Ministries serves. This can include (but is not restricted to) personal mentoring, the sharing of Scripture and Biblical encouragement, and praying with program participants. This may be in a structured setting (i.e., a classroom or chapel), or unstructured, with individual clients as the need arises.
- Participate in the self-evaluation process.
- Maintain Bible-based curriculum and activities for growth of children in the areas of spiritual, physical, emotional, life, and recovery development.
- Build activities around play and Bible stories, thereby providing teaching opportunities.
- Coordinate and organize activities (such as special children and family outings, camp, etc.) and supplies for children, including school, Kids’ Nite, birthday and incentive gifts.
- Provide an atmosphere of emotional and physical safety through implementation of behavior guidelines for children and volunteers, while responding to symptoms of emotional distress in children.
- Ensure that children receive proper supervision during organized children’s activities.
- Handle classroom situations with fairness and patience.
- Engage with children for individual and group activities.
- Communicate effectively with the children, their mothers and volunteers.
- Come alongside volunteers to equip them in working with our children to build skills and address behavioral issues.
- Maintain ministry policies and procedures, documentation, objectives, and participate in assigned quality assurance and performance improvement activities, working within discipline-specific performance standard/code of ethics.
- Enhance professional development and spiritual maturity through participation in educational programs, Bible study, in service trainings, workshops, etc.
- Attend WCM staff meetings and educational training as approved or assigned by the Director and as opportunity allows, including staff meetings (required attendance of 75% of weekly meetings).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be in agreement with Hope Ministries’ Statement of Faith and Purpose, and Core Values.
- Must be a mature Christian with a heart to minister to women and children who are homeless.
- Must have a mature, patient, and understanding spirit with the ability to teach practical truths from Scripture on the appropriate childhood level.
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, run, sit, and lift a small child weighing 50 pounds or less.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and the women and children we serve.
- Working knowledge of early childhood resources.
- Minimum of high school diploma required. Minimum of three years of experience in the provision of children’s ministries.
- Current State certification as a childcare provider preferred but not required.
- Ability to consistently meet Center work schedule as designated.
Reports to: Director of Women and Children’s Ministries
Employment Status: Part-time hourly/non-exempt (16 hours per week)
Work Schedule: Predominantly Tuesday and Thursday afternoons / evenings; attendance required at Monday morning staff meetings; periodic Saturdays for special outings; schedule flexibility necessary
Location/Region: Des Moines, IA