The Executive Director is responsible for the development and presentation of all visual coverage for Newsday, including breaking news coverage, long-form and short-form coverage, television production, social media and photography for all platforms including print, digital products, TV partners, audio/podcasting, social and working closely with the newsroom/content editors on multimedia storytelling.
The Executive Director is responsible for the journalistic integrity, ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for all Newsday multimedia and visual content.
This role will manage the Newsday TV studio and devise the Newsday multimedia strategy in line with the Newsday mission and in conjunction with the owner and publisher.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Supervise editing of all video – TV, digital, social.
- Must be skilled at keeping on top of the news and all content created across Newsday to ensure that all visual needs across all platforms are being met.
- Coordinate visual coverage with editor in chief including attending news and enterprise planning meetings. Work with other editorial departments to coordinate coverage and placement of stories and videos in the paper and online.
- Develops multimedia projects. Manage, direct and prioritize the visual needs for daily stories, television stories and long-term projects.
- Ensures all projects are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner in coordination with newsroom counterparts.
- See the big picture visually, knowing when or how a story is told better through video or when it does not lend itself to video.
- Submits a yearly budget and makes sure multimedia department stays within budget approved.
- Manage TV studio operation including technology, training, strategy, etc.
- Lead team responsible for editing, layout and selection of video and images for Newsday, AMNY and digital platforms.
- Supervise senior editors and deputy editors; provides performance feedback and gives performance reviews of their staff and provides input into performance evaluations of assistant editors.
- Responsible for providing excellent customer service in his or her own job performance and by training, motivating and evaluating subordinate staff to provide highest quality customer service both within Newsday and to readers and the community.
- Must assemble and manage a pool of freelancers and work with editors/reporters/news managers to assign shoots. They also must coordinate assignments with News 12.
- Understands and promulgates goals of the department and company.
- Participates in recruitment, hiring and training and development of staff.
- Helps establish workflow in conjunction with editorial departments.
- Interacts and collaborates with various departments within the newsroom and organization.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or related subject required; Master’s degree preferred
- At least 10 years progressive newsroom, TV or related experience including editing, reporting and supervising a journalistic visual team; experience in local news coverage.
- Must have at least 10years of leadership experience in a fast-paced newsroom that is solidly integrated with its online operation.
- Requires knowledge of or experience in a TV studio environment and technology and ability to run an OTT video operation from that studio.
- The incumbent must have strong management, journalism and writing skills; proven sound news judgment. Knowledge and understanding of local government preferred.
- Requires proven visual story-telling ability, proficiency in video, audio, digital photography processes (including Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Premiere, Soundtrack Pro, Motion, and other video and audio editing software) as well as proficiency with studio lighting and techniques.
- Strong journalistic ethics and news judgment and the ability to identify good stories - short form and long form.
- Ability to understand the visual needs of each platform and make sure Newsday’s visual strategy is executed across those platforms.
- Understand the power and reach of social media and strategize accordingly.
- Move easily among our platforms – digital, television, social and print and understand the storytelling process of each
- Exceptional ability to see the visual potential in every story and understand when a highly produced package is required and when a cell phone video will suffice - (same with still photography.)
- General computing skills such as text editors, spreadsheets, FTP, HTML as well as the ability to write clean copy are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience developing and managing daily news budget is strongly preferred.
- Candidate must be skilled at shooting and editing photos/video.
- Candidate must be a creative self-starter who is flexible, forward-thinking, and collegial and a newsroom leader.
- Must be familiar with Long Island.
- A driver’s license in good standing is required.
- Must possess a flexible and varied schedule to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support business needs. Ability to travel on occasion is required.
- Position requires standing or sitting for extended periods of time up to an entire work day.
- Must possess a driver’s license in good standing and an ability to travel as needed.
- Requires walking, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, grasping, seeing, conversing, hearing, and repetitive motions while moving about TV studio.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of camera gear for extended periods of time throughout work day. Ability to push/pull up to 50lbs of equipment to from location on a cart as needed for assignments.
- Requires the ability to read files, scripts, presentations, theories, monitors and procedures.
- Ability to utilize a computer keyboard, computer monitor, editing equipment, and telephone for prolonged periods of time.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)