Preference for Hiring in Employment
It shall be the policy and practice of the Corporate Employers to recruit Corporate Team Members according or the following priorities:
First: Qualified candidates who are enrolled members of the Pueblo of Pojoaque.
Second: Qualified candidates who are not enrolled members of the Pueblo of Pojoaque, but who are spouses, significant others, or children of enrolled members of the Pueblo of Pojoaque.
Third: Qualified candidates who are enrolled members of another (Non-Pojoaque) Indian Tribe.
Fourth: Other qualified Candidates
2019-BTI-152: Prep Cook
FT/PT Status: Full Time
Department: Turquoise Trail
JOB PURPOSE: To perform food preparation duties and to assist the Line Cook, utilizing par and prep sheets, food quality control, waste control.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Washes, peels, cuts and shreds vegetable and fruits to prepare them for use.
- A cut, chops, trim, and weighs meats and poultry prior to cooking.
- Ensures portion control to prevent waste.
- Dips food items in crumbs, flour, and batter to bread them.
- Stirs and strains soups and sauces.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes using a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Assists Line Cook by portioning food on serving plates and garnishes to fill customer orders.
- Assists with preparing, seasoning, and cooking soups, meats, vegetables, desserts, and other foods. Utilizes food surplus and leftovers.
- Observes and tests cooked foods by tasting and smelling them.
- Adds seasoning to food during mixing or cooking.
- Checks freshness of foods by ensuring proper temperatures (38 degrees for cold foods, and 145 degrees for hot foods).
- Cleans work area, equipment and utensils, segregates and removes garbage and cleans garbage containers.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
REQUIRED EDUCATION OR COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Basic knowledge of food preparation, safety techniques, rotation of foods, and portion control.
- Ability to convert recipes.
- Basic knowledge of thermostat controls to regulate temperatures.
- Basic math, reading and language skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of (6) months prep cook experience in prepping and developing foods
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Standing-90% /Walking-10% /Sitting-0%; Kitchen/Dining room setting.
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Exposure to heat and smoke from stoves and ovens.
- Exposure to some cleaning chemicals.
- Required to use and operate equipment and utensils such as broilers, grills, roasters, steam kettles, knives, slicers, industrial commercial mixer, and industrial dishwashing machine.
- Must follow and enforce safety precautions and requirements when operating or using equipment, utensils, and chemicals.
- Shift work required.
- Required to work weekends, holidays, and overtime
Location/Region: Santa Fe, NM