Mortensons success is not a matter of luck; its a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a \"best place to work\" 38 times regionally over the past decade\u2026
\u2026What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson Construction is currently seeking an Engineer VI in our Minneapolis, MN headquarters. Responsible for the technical direction of the control engineering aspects of substation and SCADA projects including detailed design for high voltage projects through 500 kV. Functions as a technical specialist who develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems, with no supervisory responsibility. Candidate will have technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, and executing designs by working closely with other engineering and design team members. They shall be capable of independently evaluating, selecting, and applying standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria by using judgment in making adaptations and modifications and providing interpretations and conclusions.
- Independently execute or lead project teams that perform the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned individual and team projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements.
- Responsible for the relay protection, control and SCADA engineering aspects on substation and transmission design projects.
- Performs duties in the areas of P&C design, SCADA programming, Network design (LAN/WAN), Testing & Commissioning (Integration, field SCADA, Trouble shooting), Field Network integration, and relay setting review.
- Performs data analysis and engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects.
- Functions as a technical specialist who develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and new approaches to unusual or exceptionally complex engineering problems.
- Works independently with little direction from Engineering Lead or Engineering Manager.
- Coordinate with other engineering disciplines, Project Managers, and Design Phase Managers to successfully deliver design projects.
- Depending on project need, provides technical leadership to personnel/cross functional teams supporting the assigned project.
- Collects data and makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities.
- Individuals must demonstrate creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving unprecedented engineering problems, program objectives and requirements, organizing programs, and developing standards and guides for diverse engineering activities.
- Responsible for the application of complex engineering skills requiring advanced knowledge.
- Review and approve equipment vendor drawings and sign off on testing report on major equipment from manufacturers.
- Implement plans to meet technical requirements of assigned components and systems.
- As necessary, provides engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction
- Coaches, mentors and guides other Engineering Professionals
- Strong project management and analytical problem solving skills
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks consistent with engineering policies and Mortenson QA/QC procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering principles, business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- Fully competent in the subject matter or the functional areas of assignments
- Requires professional design experience to assure competence as a professional
- Plans and conducts work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Conducts project detailed designs aligned with our customer requirements and Mortensons best practice standards
- Verify that construction is in agreement with electrical engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC
- Performs data analysis and advanced engineering tasks, calculations and studies to develop preliminary and detailed designs for completion of large and small projects
- Develops and evaluates the technical requirements and standards for fabrication and construction tender packages
- Has knowledge of software packages: ASPEN, ETAP, IEC 61131-3, SEL & GE platforms, etc.
- Has experience with integration and debug of programs in a substation or industrial environment.
- Graduate of four-year college or university with Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE preferred) or related Engineering program. Strongly preferred the degree is from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- Skilled in engineering theories and principles
- Skilled in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is required with the ability to act as Engineer of Record (EOR)
- Minimum ten (10) years related work experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in the T&D industry
- Ability to travel up to 50%
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Location/Region: Minneapolis, MN