Mortensons success is not a matter of luck; its a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an extraordinary customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a \"best place to work\" over 40 times since 2002\u2026
Be a part of the rapidly expanding renewables market and help Mortenson teams and clients lead the industry in helping deliver clean power across the country. Mortensons rapidly expanding Energy Storage & Solutions team is looking for energized and experienced pre construction talent.
\u2026What are you waiting for?
The Big Picture:
Do you have a real passion for being part of a creative, forward thinking organization estimating some of the highest profile, diverse projects in the industry, while utilizing the most efficient and up to date technology?
Mortenson is currently seeking an Electrical Estimator who will be responsible for conceptualizing, gathering, calculating, and compiling data in order to produce project estimates; for battery storage and distributed energy infrastructure projects. Strong communication skills are necessary as you will be interacting with trade partners and staff at all levels in an ever-changing environment. Your ability to remain inventive, dedicated, and efficient with a high level of integrity and confidentiality is vital to your success in this role.
What will you be doing?
Starting at conceptual design our Electrical Estimators work with our project leads, customers and internal and external designers to fully understand the electrical scope for their projects and create the budget that aligns with this scope. In many cases they are instrumental in finding effective design and cost solutions to enable these projects to move forward. The Electrical Estimator will also be a primary contact for the trade contractors on these projects, evaluating and communicating scope and validating the budgets that are received. Our Electrical Estimators can expect to work on a multitude of projects including, battery storage, microgrid and EV charging infrastructure.
Organization, flexibility, excellent customer focus, and strong communication are critical in performing duties which include:
- Participate in project pursuit kickoff and strategy meetings
- Build Project Estimates Conceptual, budget and detailed
- Complete quantity take-offs and summations of materials
- Solicit trade partners, obtain bid estimates and time projections for preparing vendor proposal comparisons and estimate summary sheets
- Help in preparing, organizing, and coordinating Request for Proposal documents and schedules, utilizing schedule information to estimate project General Conditions and other items where schedule is important
- Effectively scope all vendor and trade partner proposals
- Determine all pricing options and the appropriate price for the project
- Dataata input into estimating software program(s)
- Perform archive filing and historical cost data gathering
- Participate in plan and estimate review meetings, other project review meetings, customer meetings and site investigations, as needed
- Gather information from local government and private entities that may affect project (i.e. permits, hearings, etc.)
- Help manage Addendum log and documents from customers/clients
- Solicit new bidders when needed, and collect necessary documents for inclusion in future projects
- Provide direction to new Estimators and Engineers as they join the team
Provide training and mentoring to other estimators and interns
How will you succeed?
- Minimum five-year commercial, industrial or MEP construction operations experience, including exposure to materials management and project operations
- Current drivers license
- Experience with commercial, industrial or MEP electrical estimating and/or electrical industry experience
- Detail orientation sufficient to organize and handle multiple project tasks
- Applicable mathematical skills
- Familiarity with building/estimating techniques and software: ISqFt, ICE/Bid2Win, On-Screen Takeoff (OST), Bluebeam/PDF, Google Earth
- Positive professional attitude, and strong customer service skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate Mortenson policies
- 2 year industry certification, Associates or Bachelors degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar or equivalent experience preferred but not required.
Mortenson is an EOE/Affirmative Action/M/F/Veteran/Disabled employer.
Location/Region: Minneapolis, MN