In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Assistant Hockey Coach
State Job Title: Assistant Coach
Funding: Trust Fund
Job Type: Part-time Temporary
Timeframe: Academic Year (may carry into regular calendar year)
Regular Days Off: Varies
Salary: $4,000.00 Stipend
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Primary duty will be to assist in coaching the varsity team.
- Duties will include supervising the team at all practice sessions/games as assigned by the Head Coach.
- The Assistant Coach will be expected to assist in organizing and directing a training program to develop the team to its fullest potential and to play a leadership role in the development of the team in terms of recruitment, promotion, teaching, motivation and competition.
- The Assistant Coach will coordinate duties and responsibilities with the Head Coach and other support personnel (managers, scorekeepers, etc.).
- Responsible for organizing the recording of games, gathering of hockey statistics, and team meals
- The dates of final coaching responsibilities are determined by post-season tournament competition.
- Duties and responsibilities are based on a yearly length of service and are renewable at the discretion of the Director of the Department.
- All Departmental, Conference and NCAA rules and regulations will be followed.
- Excellent computer skills are needed, including knowledge of video breakdown software and social media
- Strength coach certification (CSCS, NASM)
- All Assistant Coaches are recommended to be CPR/AED, First Aid Certified.
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
Contact information for three references *
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
Location/Region: Westfield, MA