Be the happiest part of people’s day by Making Ice Cream for Salt & Straw!
Position: R & D Technician
We started Salt & Straw because we wanted to build a strong community with our team, our guests and our partners.
The R&D Technician works with local partners to create curiously delicious ice cream and bring our flavor stories to life.
Our R&D Technicians are in charge of story-hunting, product research, recipe development, and developing / maintaining the company’s relationship with Highlighted Partners.
Our flavors rotate monthly and require this team member to be nimble, organized, have strong theoretical knowledge of pastry, and have incredibly clear communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Have a passion for finding and following innovators and artisans in the food scene and staying informed of flavor trends
* Find dependable sources to aid in researching community news and trends in current and potential markets
* A strong understanding of our Mission, Purpose, and Values to help identify artisans, producers, and craft experts with which to partner
* Share insights and recommendations through both collaboration with peers and formal presentation to leadership
Managing Partner Relationships
* Actively seek out local partners for collaborations and to feature in flavors
* Act as a liaison for suppliers and partners from on-boarding through flavor creation
* Manage the on-boarding process including completion of Supplier Approval Packet ensuring all relevant paperwork is complete and documented
* Educate new suppliers and partners on food safety initiatives, purchasing requirements, and marketing plans
* Include partners and suppliers in the flavor creation process and gathering feedback on recipes
* Create talking points on the uniqueness of the partner and flavor creation
Follow the steps of recipe creation through to completion
* Create : Work with QA in the recipe development stage to identify potential hazards and to develop and validate process controls.
* Test : Produce flavor samples for testing by both the department and company leaders.
Note constructive criticism and use the feedback as motivation to make necessary recipe adjustments.
Be flexible with requests for changes and the need to pivot direction.
Repeat process as needed.
* Costing & Recipe Building : Cost out the final recipe and ensure it falls within budget parameters.
* Record recipe information in our database.
* Ingredient Statements : Accountable for ingredient and allergen accuracy on our pints and labeled products.
Audit all work for accuracy. * Data Entry : Enter specifics from recipes created by you, or other team members, into our recipe software system.
* Create product for special events and media opportunities including custom plated dishes for food festivals, limited time offering novelty items, and film television demos.
* Work alongside team members or alone to represent the company by creating and serving dishes at special events
* Assist at events and on-air demos by preparing ingredients, equipment, and location logistics.
* Create small batch runs of upcoming and current flavors for Marketing to send to media
* Assist with non-profit events such as create-your-own-flavor events and facility tours
* 3+ years of experience in a professional baking/cooking position
* Strong knowledge of baking, cooking with sugar, and candy making preferred
* Experience in recipe writing and testing is a plus
* Strong written and verbal communications skills; able to represent the company
* Strong organizational and record keeping skills
* Computer and data entry
* Up to date food handlers card
* Experience working with industrial kitchen equipment
* Ability to work with, around, and taste a wide variety of food items including (but not limited to) milk, soy, egg, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, berries. Benefits:
* Medical Insurance
* Dental Insurance, Life Insurance & AD&D Coverage
* Short-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance
* Holidays and Paid Time Off
* Employee assistance program (counseling),
* Maternal & Paternal Leave
* And....... lots of Free ice cream
Salt & Straw is proud to be an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We will consider all people - minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Salt & Straw will consider giving opportunities to qualified individuals with criminal histories when it aligns with federal, state and local statutes.
Location/Region: Portland, OR (97214)