Job ID 86670 Full / Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Regular/Temporary: RegularAbout Baystate Health
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 3,100-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.5 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 160,000-member health insurance company.
What You Will Do
Flex Technicians are part of our Pharmacy team that support operations at each of the Acute Care Pharmacies across the Health System, including Baystate Medical Center (Springfield, MA), the D’Amour Center for Cancer Care (Springfield, MA), Baystate Franklin Medical Center (Greenfield, MA), Baystate Noble Hospital (Westfield, MA), Baystate Wing Hospital (Palmer, MA), and Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center (Ware, MA). These employees are scheduled to cover short-term, long-term and unexpected schedule holes at any of the pharmacy locations.
Baystate Medical Center’s pharmacy supports patient care 24-hours a day, 7-days per week, while the other Pharmacy locations provide services 8-10 hours per day, 7-days per week. Under the supervision of a Pharmacist, our Pharmacy Technicians follow standard workflows to accurately and safely prepare, dispense and distribute sterile and non-sterile medications to our patients.
Our pharmacy technician career ladder is designed to accommodate a variety of work experiences for candidates and also provides a structure for growth opportunities for our employees. The following job categories outline the expectations and responsibilities of each of our technician roles. Candidates will be accommodated in the appropriate role based on background experience and the manager’s assessment at the time of hire.
Technician I: Primarily responsible for managing drug dispensing and distribution through an electronic inventory management system (Logistics® carousel) and the automated dispensing cabinets (Pyxis®).
Technician II: Preparation of non-sterile and sterile (IV) medications (compounding) using appropriate technology (Pharmogistics packager, MPI labeling software, DoseEdge® Workflow Manager, etc), in addition to Technician I duties.
Technician III: Preparation of non-sterile and sterile hazardous medications (compounding), in addition to Technician I and II duties.
Our employees are expected to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Follows standard workflows to ensure safety for the employee and our patients
- Follows all departmental and organizational policies and procedures
- Consistently arrives at work on time to support patient care
- Has a positive attitude, treats colleagues with respect and works well on a team
- Understands the importance of flexibility
- Quickly adapts to change
- Communicates in a respectful, positive and effective manner with all colleagues at all times
- Understands the importance and impact of all state and federal regulations as it relates to the practice of pharmacy (e.g. USP 795, 797, 800, Joint Commission, DPH, Board of Pharmacy, etc)
What You Will Need
- Registered Technician according to Massachusetts State Code 247
- Certified according to Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). or NHA Technician certification
Additional skills required:
- Possesses good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills;
- Understands the principles of staff engagement;
- Proficient in computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) preferred;
- Ability to work independently; Demonstrated math skills.
What you need to know:
- IP Pharma Over Night Coverage
- Full-Time 40 Hours
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Location/Region: Springfield, MA