The Security Officer is responsible for the security and safety of Newsday’s employees, visitors and assets. The Security Officer is the first line of defense in a comprehensive security protection plan to mitigate threats and risks that face the company, assets and employees daily. The Officer is always expected to maintain overall situational awareness while on duty by conducting physical patrols of facilities, responding to incidents, and utilizes technology to identify and mitigate risks.
Essential Duties & Functions:
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Patrols facilities and parking areas to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure perimeter doors and windows into critical areas are secure.
- Capable of working fixed post to provide security to all employees, visitors, and guest to preserve order and protect property.
- Respond to alarms, incidents and other occurrences.
- Security Officer will report any malfunctions or repairs required to senior staff to arrange for service.
- Inspects access system components for proper operation and integrity.
- Incident Report trending.
- Maintain current knowledge of all crisis management plans as well as communication escalation protocols.
- Responds to alarms and dispatched calls; and decides what actions to take based on situation, facts known and position parameters.
- Must make command life/death decisions relating to serious medical emergencies, fires, building evacuations, hazardous materials incidents and domestic or workplace violence disputes.
- Ascertain the location of sick or injured persons and coordinate and/or render immediate first aid treatment if appropriate.
- Inspects and maintains inventories of medical equipment and materials for proper operation during a medical emergency.
- Implement incident command protocols during high level incidents.
- Coordinate responding units to include local law enforcement, Fire Department, Emergency Medical Services and other emergency response agencies to ensure adequate response to mitigate any further injuries, damage or threats.
- Conduct initial investigations and determine if further action is required.
- Gather and preserve evidence to recreate the scene.
- Write reports of all incidents, irregularities such as property damage, theft, unauthorized persons or unusual occurrences. Enter reports in the case management system and assign management for follow-up as needed.
- Act as liaison among all departments and maintains contact with all levels of management.
- Attends training session as required on security related subjects.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills:
- Security Officers will possess a high school diploma or equivalent with three years of law enforcement/Military experience.
- Must be registered NYS Certified Security Officer.
- Must possess and maintain certifications in CPR, AED and First Aid; Certified Emergency Medical Technician preferred.
- Must have excellent judgment and problem-solving abilities. Must be able to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Excellent listening skills that demonstrate giving full attention to what others are saying.
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate clearly and professionally, conveying information effectively to all levels of management, employees, vendors, and customers. Strong written and verbal skills.
- Current working knowledge of Emergency Response procedures.
- Must be able and willing to work a flexible and varied schedule to include rotating shifts, extended hours, weekends, holidays, and late evenings.
- Must be adaptable and able to work in various locations as assigned.
- Must be able to work under extreme pressure and make command decisions during emergency situations.
- Must have a valid New York driver’s license to operate a company vehicle.
- (When posting for EMT positions) All must possess aptitude for and maintain first responder medical certification and possess a New York State Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT) certification.
- Have a minimum of three years’ experience as a certified EMT within an active 911 system.
- Maintain such certification as a condition of employment.
- Requires sitting, walking or standing for extended periods of time up to an entire shift.
- Position also includes bending, stooping, kneeling, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, manual dexterity, grasping, seeing, conversing, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Requires the ability to read a variety of labels, files, manuals and informational documentation, directions, instructions, and methods and procedures.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable means of transportation. May be required to operate company vehicle.
- The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, inspection, etc.).
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)