The Event Project Manager is responsible for the execution of cross departmental events and special projects at Newsday Media Group. This includes business to consumer (B2C) and business to business/trade (B2B) event marketing, including Newsday Media Group tent poles and custom created sponsored events. The position exists to serve Newsday Media group advertising partners and Long Island consumers through the successful execution of event initiatives that result in both topline revenue and increased reader/user value.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Support manager in venue research, site evaluations, speaker/entertainment options, labor and staffing coordination, food and beverage, planograms/floorplans and traffic flow, permits and contracts.
- Work with counterparts across various departments to ensure deliverables are met.
- Monitor tickets sales
- Monitor marketing promotions, ensuring that the predetermined marketing plan is being executed accordingly
- Management of all project elements within time limits and on budget.
- Scheduling of cross departmental event meetings for each concept. Preparing the agenda and anything that will be presented at these meetings.
- Manage and coordinate the schedules for interns and event staff.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required - Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or Event Planning preferred
- Media experience preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years of work experience as an events planner or organizer.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Keynote and other functional programs.
- Strong leadership skills required to oversee and staff events and coordinate their activities.
- Ability to see the “big picture” and meet objectives in all stages of event planning, design, and production.
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and prioritize while meeting aggressive deadlines for multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Must demonstrate positive energy and enthusiasm regarding collaborative work with Consumer Marketing, Advertising Sales, Client Solutions, Audience Development, Research, Editorial and Finance departments.
- Must be willing to be a hands-on team member who demonstrates initiative to roll-up their sleeves and get the job done.
- Must have ability and willingness to work a flexible and varied schedule on occasion to include weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed to support the business.
- Superb time management and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Exceptional communication skills to liaise with event partners and clients (sponsors), identify their needs, and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Able to conduct market research, gather information and present the data.
- Providing clear, well-written periodic reports for postmortem presentations to upper management.
- Management and organizational skills needed to oversee facilities and manage all event details such as decor, catering, entertainment, transportation, location, invitee list, special guests, equipment, promotional material, etc.
- Commitment to compliance with all insurance, legal, health, and safety obligations.
- Must have ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time while overseeing and participating in functions and events.
- Close visual acuity required to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
- Ability to reach, bend, lift as necessary with or without accommodation. This position will often help set up events and functions.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 20lbs on occasion to help move equipment, furniture and supplies to set up events.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.
Location/Region: Melville, NY (11747)