This role is responsible to ensure the safety of employees, subcontractors and the public on the assigned project(s). The Safety Manager is responsible for enforcing local, state, federal, and client specific safety standards on the jobsite. In addition, this position is responsible for conducting employee safety training and consults with project supervisors to develop safe work plans for all phases and tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and ensure the safety of employees, subcontractors, and public.
- Exhibit a thorough understanding of OSHA Construction Standards and be able to communicate the requirements to all levels of employees and management.
- Enforce corporate and project specific safety and health programs as well as federal, state, and local safety standards.
- Track injuries and develop safety statistics for each project, comparing the results with other projects and Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Assist in development and coordination of project specific safety program.
- Identify known/potential exposures and recommend corrective action.
- Conduct on-site inspections to verify the OFC Safety Program is followed.
- Oversee contractor incident investigations to ensure all documentation is completed in a timely manner.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement overall project specific safety programs.
- Work closely with field supervision to plan more complex safety aspects of project construction, including critical lifts, LOTO, confined space entry, etc.
- Develop project specific safety training for jobsite personnel, including subcontractors.
- Oversee all safety-related activities for all contractors.
- Review contractor project-specific safety programs.
- Conduct and participate in meetings as requested.
- Undergraduate degree in safety and health or related discipline.
- 7 years relevant construction safety experience and have earned a 30-hour OSHA card for the construction industry within the last 5 years or be a current OSHA Outreach Trainer.
- Must be current with first aid and CPR certification.
- Must be competent in the areas of excavation and trenching, fall protection, cranes, confined spaces, scaffolds and heavy equipment safety.
- Must possess a current drivers license and capable of passing a Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
- Able to manage multiple, competing priorities in a deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence supervisors, peers, and external partners.
- Must have the initiative to work independently while being productive.
- Must have good organizational skills and be proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance options for employee and family. Health Savings and Flexible Spending Account options available.
- Company-provided group life, short and long-term disability, and voluntary life options.
- Matching 401(k) retirement plan.
- Paid time off and holidays.
- Professional development and tuition assistance.
- Company sponsored social events.
Location/Region: Des Plaines, IL (US - 60018)