Reporting to the President & Chief Executive Officer, the Medical Director oversees all aspects of medical patient care services at PPGP and provides direct patient care.
1. As a member of the senior leadership team, collaborate with other team members in furthering PPGPs mission of patient care, education, and public policy, with a focus on strategic growth, strategic partnerships, and fiscal responsibility.
2. In accordance with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) Standards and Guidelines and federal, state, and local laws, issues Standing Orders delineating parameters for medical care provided by other professionals employed by or under contract with PPGP.
3. In accordance with PPFA Standards and Guidelines, provide for the drafting, implementation, and monitoring of PPGP medical protocols and procedures.
MEDICAL STAFF SUPERVISION:
4. Provide for the recruiting, training, and medical supervision and evaluation of PPGP’s clinicians including, physicians, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, CRNAs, and others.
5. In collaboration with the VP of Health Services, Assistant VP of Health Services and Director of Quality and Compliance, review and evaluate the agency's program of medical quality assurance; evaluate medical occurrences reported to PPFA.
6. Serve as Program Director of the following programs: abortion (medication and surgical), breast (basic), colposcopy, early pregnancy evaluation and management of complications, infertility (basic), LEEP, men’s reproductive health care, sedation, female sterilization.
7. Provide back-up/on-call accessibility when not on-site at PPGP.
8. Provide and supervise direct medical care including abortion (including rechecks, re-evacuation, and complication management), family practice, female sterilization, gynecology, colposcopy, and LEEP services.
9. Collaborate with the VP of Health Services and Assistant VP of Health Services on efforts to plan, implement, administer, and evaluate PPGP’s medical services to maximize both cost-effectiveness and the patient experience.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Working from a solutions-oriented approach, the Medical Director monitors clinical performance to ensure medical services and operations are in compliance with all applicable regulatory and licensing agencies. As a member of the Executive Management team, the Medical Director is responsible for implementing, reviewing and developing Clinical protocols, performance objectives, productivity benchmarks, compliance measures, provider workflow planning and provider scheduling. The position serves as coach/mentor/trainer to staff providers, giving guidance in best practices, troubleshooting of medical services and partners with the VP of Health Services on operations issues. Participates as key member of the Executive Management Team(MT) to develop and maintain a strategic plan for the controlled growth,expansion,and/or development of programs and sites for PPGP.
· Solves existing and anticipated organizational problems, and formulates and/or revises policies that will enhance the achievement of the organization’s goals. Attends all MT meetings with the overriding and ongoing goal of integrating the clinical aspects of PPGP’s medical services. The Medical Director oversees the development and implementation of medical policies and procedures in compliance with the medical standards of Planned Parenthood Federation of America and regulatory agencies. Also serves as a liaison and spokesperson in the medical community. Provides direct medical care for patients; serves as physician director and provides direct patient care for the full range of sexual and reproductive health care including but not limited to medical and surgical abortion services, breast health services, colposcopy, LEEPs, transgender services, etc.
· Provides leadership, vision, and direction in developing new medical service delivery areas for TVHC; directs, monitors and evaluates programs, revising and adapting as necessary and/or appropriate; assists in formulation and/or revision of medical program/clinical services policies and protocols.
· Establishes and/or maintains working and collaborative relationships in the health provider community, on behalf of and in accordance with formal understandings of PPGP. Develops relationships with hospitals and specialty providers for referrals and for provision of inpatient care, seeks out available medical resources, and secures medical access for PPGP patients.
· Represents PPGP to consultative and advisory bodies; to collaborating agencies, and at specific institutions, as requested; participates in meetings, conferences,etc.,on behalf of PPGP and to further collaborative efforts with these organizations and institutions. Represents PPGP in roles as healthcare provider and as executive of PPGP.
· Works closely with the President & CEO and VP of Health Services to provide direction regarding all clinical and operations issues related to the delivery of health care services.
· Provides overall direction and coordination of continuing medical education, training, and support for healthcare personnel.
· Provides direct clinical medical services in the area of board certified medical specialty in accordance with the highest applicable standards of medical and professional practice and in full accordance with PPGP/PPFA medical services and guidelines.
Performs all duties, medical care and surgical procedures including abortion in accordance with PPFA guidelines, PPGP policies and protocols and state and federal regulations.
Maintains license, hospital privileges, managed care contracts and continued medical education requirements.
Understands, commits to and practices a market and customer oriented approach to healthcare delivery.
Assumes medical and legal responsibility for patient care and ordering/distribution of drugs and devices in compliance with state and federal law.
Works with MT to ensure health center productivity standards are met and partners with the VP of Health Services and the Lead Clinician to improve health center patient flow.
Develops systems and recruits community physicians for provision of services, referral, back-up and/or on-call services.
Reviews and signs/countersigns/patient charts, prescriptions and other documents requiring a physician’s signature for clinical services.
With the Lead Clinician, Vice President of Health Services, and the Director of Risk and Quality Management, ensures the appropriate selection, training and supervision of physicians and non-physician providers; works closely with clinic management in training and supervising physicians, clinicians and other care team members including periodic reviews.
The Medical Director is available for consultation as needed for all clinicians and physicians. In collaboration with the Lead Clinician ensures Clinician’s competency and maintains administrative duties for family planning program.
The Director of Quality and Risk Management reports all audit findings to the Medical Director for competency evaluation.
Maintains hospital privileges as appropriate.
Serves as the Laboratory Director to ensure compliance with CLIA rules and regulations.
Supervises the Lead Clinician as the Ultrasound Director to ensure staff and physician training and competency.
Supports the delivery of services by physicians and non-physician providers.
In collaboration with the Lead Clinician and the Quality & Risk Management Director, reviews, revises and approves medical policies, procedures, protocols, consents and written document revisions.
Collaborates with clinicians and educates staff on medical practices and procedures, participates in medical education/training programs for affiliate staff.
Demonstrates flexibility and teamwork, works well with clinical and administrative staff.
Advises the CEO, management team and Board of Directors regarding matters of a clinical nature.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Licensed medical doctor in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Arkansas, board certified, and minimum three years’ experience in administrative leadership position.
2. Previous experience supervising providers and other clinical staff is essential, with demonstrated record of success.
3. Strongly prefer two years previous experience as medical director or associate medical director.
4. Previous experience providing services and exercising leadership in a culturally diverse setting, with demonstrated success.
6. Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team, in collaborative settings, required.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
8. Understands and is committed to maintaining highest level of confidentiality.
9. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to staff and to build the trust and respect of patients, staff, colleagues, external contacts, and other MT members.
10. Able to motivate staff; promote team building; assume leadership role within clinical arena.
11. Excellent problem-solving skills required, including creativity, resourcefulness, timeliness, and technical knowledge related to analyzing and resolving medical/administrative problems.
12. Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends, as needed.
13. Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technology and to willingness to develop and adapt to the evolving technological requirements of modern medical health.
14. Complies with all state Collaborative Practice Rules.
15. Participates in and provides medical oversight for quality management committee and quality management initiatives.
16. Approve protocols, oversee clinical staff, consult on clinical questions, is involved in continuous quality improvement and works closely with Lead Clinician. Ability to travel to all health centers.